Latest Music Software News
- An Analog Filter That’s Playable for Producers, Guitarists Alike: Waldorf 2-pole Video 10 Mar 2014, 6:18 am
Synth maker Waldorf revealed the 2-pole Analog Filter in the USA at the NAMM show. Now, they’re coming home to Germany with more details. The emphasis here is making a filter for everyone: producers. […]
- Video Teaser: Lemur on iPad About to Get Way More Awesome 10 Mar 2014, 5:51 am
Yeah, yeah, fake knobs and faders. A video teaser reveals what Lemur developer Liine is about to announce, and … whoa. Via Dr. Nick at Liine on Vine. As always, we’ll be on top of it. (Actually, n. […]
- Advanced Audio + Applications Exchange (A3E) trade show and conference to be held in Boston September 2014 8 Mar 2014, 12:18 pm
The Massachusetts Convention Center Authority (MCCA) and Sitarian Corporation have announced the launch of the Advanced Audio + Applications Exchange (A3E), a series of international tradeshows, conf. […]
- db audioware releases Flying Haggis Guitar Amp for iPad 7 Mar 2014, 5:55 pm
db audioware has released Flying Haggis Guitar Amp for iPad. Flying Haggis for iPad is the latest evolution of db audioware's original amp design for the Mac and PC. The vintage preamp and tone stack. […]
- A Surround Sound System You Can Carry Like an Umbrella, ‘Anywhere’ 7 Mar 2014, 10:27 am
Music is transformed by context, by instrumentation and space and setting. With amplified music, thinking about content alone isn’t enough. Visualists now work with projection mapping and lighting c. […]
- Friday’s Freeware: Let the dog out! 7 Mar 2014, 6:45 am
Bark of Dog, this the freeware we chose to highlight this week, not for its name, but for its ability to enhance the low end of your tracks. .. Read more on Audiofanzine
- ADSR releases Bassic - Bass Synth for Reaktor 7 Mar 2014, 3:59 am
ADSR has released Bassic, a Reaktor synth "that makes designing killer bass music instruments simple". The guys behind Bassic say they have "designed a Reaktor ensemble that is minimal, yet powerfull. […]
- apeSoft releases iVCS3 for iPad - Official EMS VCS3 Emulator 7 Mar 2014, 3:55 am
apeSoft has released iVCS3, an official EMS VCS3 Emulator application for iPad. It costs $14.99. Here's what they say: History The VCS3 was created in 1969 by Peter Zinovieff's EMS company. The e [Re. […]
- Bassic, new synth for Reaktor 7 Mar 2014, 3:34 am
ADSR Sounds adds to the Reaktor add-on collection a new virtual synth designed with simplicity in mind. .. Read more on Audiofanzine
- Boz Digital Labs updates Little Foot, Mongoose and Bark of Dog to AAX and VST3 for Mac and Win 7 Mar 2014, 2:28 am
Boz Digital Labs has updated Little Foot, Mongoose and Bark of Dog to AAX and VST3 for Mac OS X and Windows (also available in VST, AU and RTAS). Little Foot (on sale for $19, marked down from $39) m. […]
CamSR and ArkeCode
Float Crush is a new type of bitcrusher exploiting the nature of the floating point unit. It offers something the regular bitcrusher can’t; a dual flavor distortion.
What does Float Crush do?
A floating point unit has three important segments to it, the sign, the exponent, and the mantissa. A normal 32-bit float uses 23 bits for it’s mantissa values and 7 bits for it’s exponent.
What Float Crush does is applies quantization to the exponent and mantissa range of bits, the same quantization a normal bitcrusher would. But the difference is this creates a multi-staged effect, where quantizing the mantissa range brings a soft, airy texture, and the exponent range which can completely ‘rearrange’ the sound.
There’s only a few presets but try it out for yourself. When adjusting the exponent effect, you might notice the signal gets softer, if that happens use the Pre-Gain control to compensate.
Search this site:
Subscribe to Site Feed