Latest Music Software News
- Web-Connected Analog: Synths Render Sound From Your Browser, Remotely 18 Jun 2013, 10:56 am
On the Internet, no one knows you’re a dog. But they just might know you’re an MS-20. Hector Urtubia – aka Mr. Book – has connected his synths to the Web and set them up for the world. Submit. […]
- XLN Audio releases 'Electric Grand' for the Addictive Keys platform 18 Jun 2013, 8:48 am
XLN Audio has released the Electric Grand instrument for the Addictive Keys platform. This member of the Addictive Keys family combines three distinct characters in one instrument: The acoustic sound. […]
- AcousticsampleS samples the Clavinet D6 18 Jun 2013, 8:26 am
AcousticsampleS has released Clavi D9, a sample library of the Hohner Clavinet D6 for the UVI Workstation.
- New mix preset library for EZmix 2 18 Jun 2013, 8:16 am
Toontrack announces the release of The Mix Toolbox EZmix Pack, a new expansion pack for its EZmix 2 software.
- iZotope Classic Textures for Trash 2 18 Jun 2013, 8:06 am
iZotope launched Classic Textures, a new expansion pack that features impulses and presets for its Trash 2 distortion software.
- Steinberg Cubase Elements 7 is out 18 Jun 2013, 7:53 am
After the standard and Artist versions, Steinberg announces the availability of the Elements edition of its Cubase 7 DAW.
- G-Sonique new plug-in and special offer 18 Jun 2013, 7:43 am
G-Sonique released the new PsyTrance Bass X1 synth plug-in along with a summer sale, with up to 50% off all its plug-ins.
- A new drum machine for the iPad 18 Jun 2013, 7:13 am
Paul Betowski released SynthDrum Pads, a new percussive synth app for the iPad that can recreate both vintage and modern drum sounds.
- Klanghelm releases "IVGI" free saturation and distortion plugin 18 Jun 2013, 2:34 am
Klanghelm has released IVGI, a new saturation and distortion plugin. IVGI is designed to deliver soft and subtle saturation, that feels at home on the master buss. It is intended to be equally capabl. […]
- One Small Clue updates Poise Percussion Sampler to v126.96.36.199 18 Jun 2013, 12:40 am
One Small Clue has updated Poise Percussion Sampler to version 188.8.131.52. Changes: Bug Fixed: Sample points didn't update when automated via MIDI. Bug Fixed: AIF files weren't loading on 64-bit build. […]
CamSR and ArkeCode
Float Crush is a new type of bitcrusher exploiting the nature of the floating point unit. It offers something the regular bitcrusher can’t; a dual flavor distortion.
What does Float Crush do?
A floating point unit has three important segments to it, the sign, the exponent, and the mantissa. A normal 32-bit float uses 23 bits for it’s mantissa values and 7 bits for it’s exponent.
What Float Crush does is applies quantization to the exponent and mantissa range of bits, the same quantization a normal bitcrusher would. But the difference is this creates a multi-staged effect, where quantizing the mantissa range brings a soft, airy texture, and the exponent range which can completely ‘rearrange’ the sound.
There’s only a few presets but try it out for yourself. When adjusting the exponent effect, you might notice the signal gets softer, if that happens use the Pre-Gain control to compensate.
Search this site:
Subscribe to Site Feed