Latest Music Software News
- Digital Warrior Goes Open Source, DJ-friendly Step Sequencer Hardware Gets Better 11 Dec 2013, 9:57 am
A USB-connected step sequencer with controller is now improved, and open source. The Digital Warrior is a boutique hardware controller hailing from Cyprus, combining a 16-voice, 32-step sequencer with. […]
- EverythingTurns releases WaveChaserXT - Granular Wave Sequencing Re-Synthesiser for Reaktor 11 Dec 2013, 4:39 am
EverythingTurns has released WaveChaserXT, a sample player for Reaktor that uses granular synthesis for playing back any sample, with independent control over pitch and time, generating lush sequence. […]
- Acon Digital updates Verberate to v1.0.2 11 Dec 2013, 3:27 am
Acon Digital has released version 1.0.2 of the algorithmic reverb plug-in Verberate which aims at realistic simulation of real acoustical spaces. The update includes the following improvements: Reduc. […]
- Glass Music: Google Glass Meets Wine Glasses, Chamber Music Conductor 10 Dec 2013, 10:21 am
Google Glass continues to see musical ideas. Alexander Chen, whom we saw composing violin ensembles with Google’s wearable tech, now turns his attentions to literal glass – wine glasses. In “Gla. […]
- Gospel Musicians UVI Libraries no longer require an iLok; All libraries on sale until after Christmas 10 Dec 2013, 10:16 am
Gospel Musicians has announced that all its UVI libraries no longer require the use of an iLok dongle in order to authorize. They have also announced that all UVI supported libraries are on sale unti. […]
- Elektron Analog Keys: Pictures, Details, Media, How it Differs from Analog Four 10 Dec 2013, 9:17 am
Elektron’s Analog Keys goes on sale this week, and begins shipping next week. It’s Sweden’s latest dream-worthy analog instrument, a 4-voice analog synth with integrated sequencer. And it’s no. […]
- DDMF releases AAX versions of IIEQPro, LP10, 6144 and DirectionalEQ 10 Dec 2013, 7:06 am
The four payware EQs by DDMF, 6144 EQ, DirectionalEQ, IIEQ Pro and LP10, have all been released as AAX versions, allowing them to be used in Pro Tools 11 directly. The new versions are available for. […]
- Steinberg Software Development Kit (SDK) for VST 2 No Longer Available 10 Dec 2013, 7:03 am
Steinberg Media Technologies has announced that as of December 9th, 2013, they are no longer offering the Software Development Kit (SDK) for VST 2 through the Steinberg website. "We introduced VST 2. […]
- Sample Logic releases Waterharp 2 for Kontakt 10 Dec 2013, 6:54 am
Sample Logic has released Waterharp 2, an entirely new collection of over 550 instruments and multis for Kontakt 5.3+. Weighing in at 2.5 gigabytes, WH2 not only includes ready-to-play sampled Wate [. […]
- beatassist.eu releases Mantra - Free FM and Phase Distortion synth VSTi for Windows 10 Dec 2013, 4:02 am
beatassist.eu has released Mantra, a new VSTi Synth for Windows 32-bit that fuses Frequency Modulation and Phase Distortion synthesis. Mantra is composed of two oscillator modules having three pane [. […]
CamSR and ArkeCode
Float Crush is a new type of bitcrusher exploiting the nature of the floating point unit. It offers something the regular bitcrusher can’t; a dual flavor distortion.
What does Float Crush do?
A floating point unit has three important segments to it, the sign, the exponent, and the mantissa. A normal 32-bit float uses 23 bits for it’s mantissa values and 7 bits for it’s exponent.
What Float Crush does is applies quantization to the exponent and mantissa range of bits, the same quantization a normal bitcrusher would. But the difference is this creates a multi-staged effect, where quantizing the mantissa range brings a soft, airy texture, and the exponent range which can completely ‘rearrange’ the sound.
There’s only a few presets but try it out for yourself. When adjusting the exponent effect, you might notice the signal gets softer, if that happens use the Pre-Gain control to compensate.
Search this site:
Subscribe to Site Feed